The shift of the energy transition has seen increasing pressure and demand for renewables energy worldwide. Many countries and companies are increasingly placing more investments in windfarm installation projects both onshore and offshore.
SPO’s PSV and AHTS vessels are equipped to provide support to windfarm installation projects and maintenance of windfarms in Asia Pacific and Europe and have been actively supporting several windfarm-related projects in recent years. SPO is taking steps to be fully capable to operate in current and upcoming windfarm markets.
The SPO fleet has experience in supporting the following operations and in differerent regions:
- Foundations installations (for monopiles and jackets) with our AHTS vessels in support of construction vessel mooring operations.
- Transition installation supporting an installation vessel for mooring operations in shallow waters.
- Noise mitigation, providing single bubble curtain and double bubble curtains during foundations installations.
- Geotechnical surveys for Offshore Windfarm sites.
Some of the renewables support services include:
- General: Small to mid-size AHTS for Guard duty
- Survey: PSV for geotechnical survey of upcoming locations
- AHTS 120TBP to support the construction vessel during installation by either providing anchor handling if the vessel is not DP/or on shallow locations or by towing barges to feed the construction vessel with piles
- PSV to perform noise mitigation with single or double bubble curtains
- Small or mid-size AHTS or PSV for underwater noise monitoring
- Small AHTS for mammal observation
- Transition pieces: 120TBP to provide anchor-handling for non DP Heavy Load Carrier or to deploy in shallow areas.
- Installation/Commissioning/Maintenance: PSV with accommodation and gangway for walk-to-walk scope of work.
Some notable projects include:
SPO’s L Class Platform Supply Vessel (PSV), Pacific Liberty working as the noise mitigation vessel in northeast Taiwan.
SPO’s L Class Platform Supply Vessel (PSV), the Pacific Liberty worked as the noise mitigation vessel while two other SPO vessels, the Pacific Valkyrie and the Pacific Vulcan working to assist in the anchor-handling of the construction vessel in northeast Taiwan.
Due to the depth of water, a double bubble curtain was required. Four pin-piles were hammered into the seabed at each location instead of monopiles. A jacket was then cemented onto the piles upon which the wind turbine generators were fitted.
SPO’s W Class Anchor-Handling Tug Supply vessel (AHTS), the Pacific Warlock was involved in assisting the DP Heavy Load Carrier to install transition pieces in shallow location where it was required to operate while anchored.
SPO’s L Class vessels have unrivalled DP station keeping capability with 10, 620 Horsepower and a Deadweight of 5,250 tons. The V and W Class 120 and 140 TBP with 8,807 BHP and 10,657 BHP. The G Class vessels, with their 4,000-tonne deadweight, are powered by a four-engine electric power plant and equpped with highly efficient azimuth thrusters ensuring excellent fuel efficiency. These FiFi, DP2 vessels are SPS Compliant, Clean Class and built LFL* notation ready to alllow for future menthanol carriage and have back decks which span 810m2 in length.
These vessels have proven to be suited to operate in Taiwan’s challenging weather conditions and strong currents and are ideal for operations in similar weather conditions in countries including Japan and South Korea.
Formosa 1, Taiwan
SPO’s L Class Platform Supply Vessel (PSV), the Pacific Liberty worked as the noise mitigation vessel while two other SPO vessels, the Pacific Valkyrie and the Pacific Warlock worked to assist in the anchor-handling of the construction vessel in northeast Taiwan.
Pacific Liberty was chartered to deploy a single bubble curtain, operating the bubble curtain during monopile hammering and recovering the bubble curtain upon completion. The bubble curtain reduces noise levels during hammering and thereby helped to protect the surrounding marine wildlife and environment.
Greater Changhua, Taiwan:
SPO’s G Vlass, Platform Supply Vessel (PSV), the Pacific Grouse worked as a geotechnical survey vessel on the future site for installation in 2021. The vessel was fitted with a drilling rig on the back deck for this scope of work.
SPO vessel, Pacific Duchess was involved in the towage of a floating turbine from Port of Dundee in Scotland for installation at the Kincardine floating windfarm, 15 kilometres southeast of Aberdeen.